- Update your mobile software and/or computer
- Back up your information on an external drive or cloud system
- Keep your devices locked when they are not in use
- Avoid automatically connecting to public wireless networks
- Exercise caution before you connect to public wireless hotspot(s)
- Steer clear from clicking any unknown or suspicious links
- Be mindful of what you post while you are away on vacation—the more you share on websites like Facebook, the more likely you’ll be offering hints that nobody’s home!
- Avoid participating in data-sensitive activities, such as online shopping or viewing your bank/credit card accounts on publicly accessible computers and unsecured wireless networks
- Protect your mobile device(s) by keeping them near you at all times, especially in public spaces
The Piers Project is funded by a gift from the family of Ellie Piers to benefit the Front Porch Center for Innovation and Wellbeing’s (CIW’s)ongoing mission of using technology to enhance wellbeing among older adults.Piers lived at Carlsbad by the Sea, a Front Porch retirement communityin Carlsbad, CA. Her contribution will allow the CIW to confront the issue of eldersecurity by using adaptive technologies to develop initiatives related to senioronline security, specifically in the GreaterSan Diego Area.