by Jessica McCracken
A new year brings with it pressure to set resolutions, which often lead to disappointment in ourselves. Instead of setting a resolution, let’s support our personal growth by asking, “What do I seek more of or less of in order to enrich my health?” Consider health in all realms: emotional, financial, intellectual, spiritual and physical.
The impact of intentionally nurturing yourself ripples out to others. When we come from a place of compassion for ourselves, it is reflected in our connections to others. Applying this concept to our work, we understand that we do bring our whole selves to work so fostering a healthy work environment requires both self-care and attention to how we care for others.
The workplace is full of potential triggers and stressors. These stressors present themselves differently in different individuals or at different times in life so it is critical to create diverse and multiple strategies for well-being at work.
Three keys to workplace well-being are:
- Kind Spaces
- Physical: Break rooms are for just that – a break – and should be designed to address the senses and soothe the soul.
- Emotional: Nurture pathways of emotional connection amongst staff.
- Be Yourself
- Validate social identities of staff and create opportunities to share and celebrate people for who they truly are.
- Work in opportunities for life story sharing, seeing the identities of your staff as an asset that can dynamically further your mission.
- Prioritize Compassion
- Honor work/life balance and respect that people bring home to work with them and bring work back home. Try to support healthy boundaries and be there for people in need.
- Imbue duties with meaning wherever and whenever possible. This takes intentionality but all tasks can be honored as supporting the mission.
Knowing that well-being begins from within, Creative Spark, a Front Porch program, offers interactive staff trainings that energize and inspire work by addressing internal motivators, nourishing team cohesion, and reigniting a sense of purpose. From Creating Joy at Work to Discovering Workplace Resilience, Creative Spark feeds that light inside staff so that we may shine a bit brighter for ourselves and for those our work impacts.
Investing in staff personal growth and overall well-being brings amazing returns in greater job satisfaction, increased productivity, and higher retention rates. As you plan for the year to come, consider how you can make that investment for yourself or your team. And let us know if we can help!
We wish you well on your 2024 well-being journey!